Moonlight and a Stupid Song

the radio had been playing all night long,
you closed the door on me and went back inside.
I leaned my head back and just pretended,
cause you were busy smiling.
With my head against the car seat,
I pretended you opened my door,
You whispered in my ear
a song you would rather like to hear
and you lifted me away
into a rough version of a waltz.
We slow danced on the corner
while the half moon was high
and orion was straightening his belt.
You said this is what you knew
I would look like in the moonlight.
I said you were beautiful
 and I would dance all night
just with you in my eyes.
Then you held me close
and hummed the notes,
to a song I couldn't quite place.
She ran a red light
I woke with a fright
realizing it was all a dream.
"Next time" I said,
Alone in my head,
"Next time you will dance with me."

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Prime Time